Rating: 96.8/100. With 11,000+ video guitar lessons, a solid toolset, and 45 teachers, Guitar Tricks is definitely worth trying out. Tip: They are currently offering a free 2 week trial, so if you decide you don’t want to pay after your trial, it’s easy to cancel.
– Over 11,000 online lessons in archive
– 1,000+ song lessons from artists like Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Boston & Pearl Jam
– 45 professional teachers
– HD videos with 3 camera angles and notation
– Chord and scale libraries
– Jam Track software included
– Wide variety of genres taught
– Intermediate lessons: Skills & Techniques
– Active forum with students and instructors
– Most affordable guitar lessons online
– Computer and Internet connection required
– Paid subscription only for premium content
– Mostly focused on beginner-level lessons
– Somewhat cluttered interface (see screenshots below)
Way back in 1998, long before the days of YouTube (remember that?), a guitarist named Jon Broderick decided to make a website to help others learn to play guitar online.
This was a revolutionary thing at the time, and while many others have followed suit, you could say GuitarTricks.com is sort of the grandfather of them all.
After signing up and trying it out, we feel $14.95/month is a great price for what you get. There’s a ton of content included for that price, and the trial and 60 days to decide if you want your money back make it worth a shot.
Alright, let’s get into our full Guitar Tricks review…
Since there are so many lessons on the site, they created a page called “Core Learning System” so it’s easy to figure out where to get started:
There are 45 total guitar instructors, 24 of which teach the majority of the video lessons.
Unlike some lessons we’ve tried, all of these instructors are talented musicians that know enough to teach.
Plus, they all come from different musical backgrounds, giving you a good variety to learn from.
Our personal favorites are Anders Mouridsen (Blues, Rock & Acoustic) and Douglas Showalter (Rock, Acoustic & Metal).
Want a free sneak peek inside GuitarTricks.com? We took screenshots of our account to show you some of the highlights without even having to sign up for a free trial…
Guitar Tricks Review Conclusion
We have tried virtually every major guitar community and home study course online, and Guitar Tricks ranks 2nd with our rating algorithm, just barely behind JamPlay.
Here is a quick checklist to see if Guitar Tricks is the right option:
- If you would prefer to try before you buy, they have a 14-day free trial
- If you want more video lessons, Guitar Tricks has over 11,000 (they’re growing every week)
- If you want to save $5/month, they only charge $14.95 for unlimited access
If you’re ready to take guitar lessons online, both communities have a lot to offer.
If you want to save money and still get a great value, then start your free trial now.
Hopefully we have helped you figure out which guitar lessons to invest in with our Guitar Tricks review.